Criminal Defense

If you have been charged with a crime, you need an attorney who will fight for you. 

Whether you are charged with an ordinance violation, a misdemeanor or a felony, a conviction could result in serious consequences. 

You could be sentenced to serve time in either the county jail or Department of Corrections.   

The authorized terms of imprisonment are:

(1) For a class A felony, a term of years not less than ten years and not to exceed thirty years, or life imprisonment;

(2) For a class B felony, a term of years not less than five years and not to exceed fifteen years;

(3) For a class C felony, a term of years not to exceed seven years;

(4) For a class D felony, a term of years not to exceed four years;

(5) For a class A misdemeanor, a term not to exceed one year;

(6) For a class B misdemeanor, a term not to exceed six months;

(7) For a class C misdemeanor, a term not to exceed fifteen days.

Additionally, fines and court costs could be imposed. 


Attorney Laurie Dodd will fight for you. 

After reviewing the evidence, she will negotiate with the prosecutor to obtain a favorable disposition without the need for trial, or, depending on the evidence, will defend you in a criminal trial, forcing the State to prove the charges against you beyond a reasonable doubt.   

In many cases, the charges can be reduced to lesser charge, or, after successfully completing a term of probation and the conditions therewith, the charges essentially may not be considered part of your criminal record.  

In addition to misdemeanors and felonies at the county level,  Laurie will handle your municipal (city) misdemeanor charges in all municipalities of St. Louis County, St. Charles County, Warren County, Lincoln County, Pike County, Ralls County and Marion County. 


Probation Violations

If you previously were convicted or plead guilty to a felony or misdemeanor, you may have been ordered to complete supervised or unsupervised probation. 

Probation carries certain conditions, including obeying all laws, not associating with other felons or people on probation, reporting to your probation officer, payment of fines, costs and/or restitution. 

If your probation officer files a violation report with the Court, the prosecuting attorney may file a Motion to Revoke your probation. 

Serious consequences can result. 

If you have previously been given an SES (Suspended Execution of Sentence) with a “backup” sentence, if your probation is revoked the court may immediately execute that that sentence and send you to the county jail or department of corrections, depending on the length of the sentence. 

It is extremely important that you hire an attorney if a Motion to Revoke your Probation has been filed. 

Attorney Laurie Dodd can represent you and potentially alleviate this harsh result. 

Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to be continued on probation, with or without additional conditions imposed. 

It is possible that even if your sentence is executed, you may receive credit for any time served on probation to “mitigate” your sentence.